Monday, March 9, 2009

The Blues, homeowner style...

Yes, I'm happy.
Yes, I'm excited.
Yes, being a homeowner is a dream come true, etc etc..

That is, of course, when it isn't sucking. These days, the suck factor is substantially higher. This is not the fault of my sweet little condo. It's my fault; I don't have enough time to commit to renovations, so I'm not yet actually...um
...living there.

Have you tried living with your parents in adulthood? Even temporarily? Although I am eternally grateful to them for sheltering me during this transition, I have been eyeballing those Emeryville corporate apartments on 580 with envy. There comes a time when being privy to your parents' squabbles and senseless routines is difficult to bear.

Actual conversation:

Mom: (knocking on my door as I chat with my friend on the phone.) Your sister is here. She needs you to try on your bridesmaid's dress.

Me: I'll be out in 5 minutes.

Mom: (3 minutes later.) RACHEL!!!! IT'S GETTING LATE!!!! COME OUT HERE AND TRY ON THE DARN BRIDESMAID DRESS!!!

Me: MO-OM!!! Dammit! I'll be out in a second!

Mom: No need to shout.

Sound familiar? Lifetime Movie Network called. They want their after school special back.

Just call me 1994.